2 employees succumb to toxic gases at power plant

| Sep 2, 2017 | Workplace Accident

Two workers in a neighboring state have died after being exposed to toxic fumes. The workers were employed at a power plant in Pennsylvania when they inhaled toxic gases. The gases were released into a pit underground where the workers were located along with fellow employees. Several others also suffered injuries related to the incident.

The injured workers were in a well-type area when the accident happened a little before 1 a.m. on a recent Wednesday. They had just removed the piping from an elbow joint, which resulted in the release of hydrogen sulfide gas. Because it was a confined space, there wasn’t adequate ventilation for the gas to escape.

A 42-year-old man and a 34-year-old man couldn’t get out of the well in time before suffering fatal injuries related to toxic gas inhalation. Three workers escaped, but not without suffering gas inhalation injuries. They were rushed to local hospitals where they received treatment for their injuries.

The plant where the accident happened is the biggest coal-fired power plant owned by FirstEnergy. According to a spokesperson for FirstEnergy, the power plant continues to operate as normal.

Power plant workers in New Jersey and surrounding areas face a lot of risks and dangers on the job. When those risks manifest as an actual accident, death and catastrophic injury are not uncommon results. If you or your loved one was hurt in a power plant accident, the New Jersey workers’ compensation system could help you pay for medical care and time away from work. In the case of a fatal accident, surviving spouses and dependents may be able to receive workers’ compensation death benefits.

Source: New Jersey Herald, “Police: 2 workers killed by toxic fumes at power plant,” Aug. 30, 2017

FindLaw Network