The 2 kinds of lost wages benefits

| Nov 24, 2017 | Workers' Compensation

Most New Jersey workers — especially New Jersey hardhats — know that they can apply for lost wages benefits in the event that they suffer an employment-related injury that renders them unable to work or hold down a job. Beyond this information, however, workers are generally clueless about how much money they can receive, how long they can receive it and what kind of wage replacement options exist for different circumstances.

There are two kinds of workers’ compensation wage loss benefits temporary partial lost wages benefits and temporary total lost wages benefits. Let’s take a look at both of these options:

Temporary partial disability: These payments are awarded to employees who suffer a temporary work injury that renders them unable to perform the full scope of their previous jobs. These employees, are generally still able to perform certain job duties but they have a dramatically reduced income-earning capacity when comparing their pre-injury and post-injury income.

Temporary total disability: These payments are awarded to employees who suffer such complete injuries that they’re unable to earn any income at all. These injured employees may have suffered catastrophic injuries that leave them homebound or bedridden to such a degree that they need to rest completely while recuperating.

When you’re injured and unable to work due to a job-related injury, the situation can be frightening, but New Jersey workers are usually covered by workers’ compensation insurance in these situations. Knowing as much as you can about your options for workers’ compensation benefits can help you navigate your legal right to benefits in this regard.

Source: Law Office of Jack L. Stillman PA, “Workers’ Compensation,” accessed Nov. 24, 2017

FindLaw Network