When roadway and vehicle defects cause a car accident

| Jan 19, 2018 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

Sometimes a car accident and its related injuries are not caused by driver error, driver negligence or driver unlawfulness. Sometimes another party is to blame: a manufacturer or municipality. There are numerous vehicles and auto parts manufactured every year that have dangerous defects that can result in serious car accidents and injuries. There are also serious problems related to roadways and signs for which cities and municipalities are to blame.

Let’s look at a few examples of these kinds of problems:

Defective auto parts: Automakers utilize thousands of auto parts in their vehicles. These auto parts may not have been manufactured by the vehicle makers themselves, but by other auto parts manufacturers. Problems with these parts have resulted in numerous accidents and injuries. Take the Takata Airbags, for example. These dangerous airbags have prompted the recall of millions of cars because of their propensity to explode and shoot deadly pieces of metal shrapnel into vehicle occupants.

Defective automobiles: There have been numerous instances in which automakers design or build dangerously defective vehicles. Sometimes these defects relate to the propensity of a car to roll over in a crash, the chance of a car exploding or bursting into flames or other serious issues that can either worsen car accident injuries or cause a car accident in the first place.

Roadway defects and other road problems: Cities and municipalities have a duty to design safe roads with proper signage. They also have to upkeep and maintain traffic lights and keep roads reasonably free of ice, debris and other problems. However, cities do not always fulfill their duties in this regard.

Were you hurt — or was your loved one killed — because of a negligent automaker, auto parts maker or city or municipality? Legal avenues could exist for you to protect your rights. Be sure to investigate your accident and the civil statutes that may apply to your situation.

FindLaw Network