How to challenge a DUI offense if you’re from out of state

| Oct 27, 2020 | Dui/dwi

When a person gets pulled over for drunk driving it can be a scary situation. Law enforcement officers can be intimidating, and it can be hard for a defendant to understand their legal rights in these situations. If a person is facing a DUI charge in a different state from where they reside it can lead to more complications.

DUI enhancement and the Interstate Driver’s License Compact

When a person is arrested for a DUI in a state where they don’t live, they need to understand that almost every state takes driving while intoxicated seriously. A DUI conviction can be a serious matter and carry consequences that can affect a driver for many years.

Most states recognize DUI convictions from other jurisdictions. This means that if a person was convicted in another state for a DUI and is now facing charges in a different state, the older DUI conviction may count towards a DUI enhancement. This can mean that a defendant may be facing more serious penalties, including a felony.

The Interstate Driver’s License Compact is adopted by most states which means that if a person is convicted of a DUI in another state, his home state will suspend his license pursuant to the rules in the other state.

Contacting a DUI defense attorney

Since a DUI is such a serious offense it can be important for someone who is facing these charges to speak with an attorney who specializes in DUI defense. An attorney can help their client understand the charges they are facing and how they can help fight these charges.

In addition, the attorney can review the rules regarding DUI enhancements in both states and compare the DUI statutes that affect their client. There may be opportunity to have the charges reduced or even dismissed.

FindLaw Network